Dues: Newsflash – They’re Due! . . .
Stolen Van/Radios Update . . .
Elk City Hamfest – March 7 . . .
St Lucia QRP DXpedition . . .
OKC Marathon Volunteers . . .
Repeater Upgrade Synopsis . . .
SKYWARN Presentation by WX5MOR . . .
This week’s ARRL Letter _…_._
Dues: Newsflash – They’re Due!
See Doug, WX5DF, or fill out a membership form (here: http://w5nor.org/scars%20membership%20form.pdf), include your dues, and mail it to:
P.O. Box 720993
Norman, OK 73070-4769
Stolen Van/Radios Update
Larry, W5LHG, sends the following update about his stolen van and radios:
Norman Police recovered my Astro van Tuesday, in east Norman. The Alinco DR600 and separation kit has been removed, along with some of my tools. I think it is likely that it has been pawned in Norman.
Keep an eye out for his DR600.
Elk City’s great little hamfest is March 7.
All the info you need to pre-register, etc., can be found at the ARRL Oklahoma Section link here:
St. Lucia QRP DXpedition
John, WB5Q, sends the following:
Since SCARS is one of the clubs acting as a sponsor of this event, it is right that you get the info first hand.
- St. Lucia Special Event / St. Lucia Independence (from on the beach in St.Lucia)
- Operations commence UTC 21 Feb and Close Down UTC 23Feb. 2015.
- This will be a strictly QRP, Solar powered event.
- We will be operating the following modes: CW, SSB, PSK-31 and RTTY. Operations will be on all allowed bands as conditions permit.
- The call for this Independence Special Event will be: J64SLI/36.
- QSL via WB5Q
- USA Send SASE, Europe and Worldwide: US $2.00 or 2 Euros and a SAE.
We want to have a large number of contacts with our sponsoring clubs, so listen for us and make that call!
thanks and 73,
John Carson WB5Q
J6 Portable Group
OKC Marathon Volunteers
Mike, OKC Marathon comms chair, talked with us Saturday about the needs for communications volunteers for the April 26 OKC Memorial Marathon. They need 80 ops. ALL the info can be found at http://okcmarathon.com/. The specific Volunteer code to be a communications op is PSC15, but this link will take you directly to the volunteer form and pre-fill that code for you: https://events.cuetoems.com/ocmm_2015/Register.aspx?code=psc15
Repeater Upgrade Synopsis
There was MUCH discussion regarding the status of the Repeater Upgrade. After much discussion, it was agreed to increase the budget for this project by $1000 and that money be allocated to the budget line for tower personnel. The crux of the matter has been since we started this project that the folks who do this kind of thing make waaaay more money doing Cell Tower construction and we are just a little ham club with a relatively small budget. We DO have people who will do the work with this increase in funds, so hope springs eternal that this will be completed REAL SOON NOW (RSN).
SKYWARN Presentation by WX5MOR
Gayland, WX5MOR, Emergency Manager for the City of Moore gave us a presentation as to how his (and most everyone else’s) Severe Weather Operations work. Bottom line is that if you are going to volunteer for Storm Spotting, you gotta have training. And it’s available online often. And no, the training you had 15 years ago isn’t good enough. And by all means remember this: Less is more. If there is already a tornado warning in effect, “It’s stopped raining here now,” followed by a minute and a half about how the flower pots on your back patio are blown over will get you an invite to not participate in the future.
Less is More. Be quick, concise, timely, and then let go of the microphone button.
Like last week’s lead article: “Don’t be a Lid!“
This week’s ARRL Letter – Live link to the entire letter at bottom of this entry:
- FCC Seeks Comment on Radar Sharing Schemes that Could Displace Amateur Radio at 76-81 GHz
- Word From Navassa: Turn Off Those Speech Processors! K1N Tops 100,000 Contacts
- John Bigley, N7UR, Appointed as Nevada Section Manager
- ARRL Field Day 2015 Field Day Packet Now Online
- ARRL International DX Contest 2015 CW Event is February 21-22
- Another Round of International Space Station SSTV Activity Set for Late February
- Polish Radio Amateurs Receive 3D-Printed ARTSAT2: DESPATCH QSL Card
- Denying Permission for FCC Station Inspection Nets Florida CBer a $3000 Fine
- RadioShack Enters Chapter 11 “Debtor-in-Possession” Bankruptcy
- “Gray Radio Gang” Reactivates Vintage Battleship Iowa HF Transmitter
- Hamvention Week AuxComm Course Registration Now Open
- In Brief…
- The K7RA Solar Update
- Just Ahead in Radiosport
- Upcoming ARRL Section, State, and Division Conventions and Events
via ARRL Letter.
As always…Nets, Links, Other Stuff in the link at the top AND in the sidebar. Have a great week!
73 de Gary, WB5ULK …_._