New Amateurs . . .
Monthly Club Meeting Highlights . . .
National Parks On The Air . . .
OKC Memorial Marathon Sign-up . . .
Mobile Antenna “Myths” . . .
Green Country Hamfest . . .
Did I forget you last week? . . .
ARRL Letter . . .
Amateur Radio Newsline . . .
Ham Nation . . .
Officers and Other odd-links . . .
Upcoming Hamfests within 250 miles _…_._
“Please join the SCARS exam team in welcoming the following new amateurs to the air:
Justin, KG5LQR (Tuttle)
Nathaniel, KG5LQS (Blanchard)
Woodward, KG5LQT (Eufaula)
Scott, KG5LQU (Elgin)
Nathan, KG5LQV (Norman)
Norbert, KG5LQW (Norman)
Gary, KG5LQX (Lexington)
“All became hams at the last SCARS test session.
“Please also join us in congratulating Edward, KF5VJR, of OKC who upgraded to General at the same session.”
SCARS VE Team Liaison
Monthly Club Meeting Highlights
The SCARS February meeting convened at the normal time and place with anything BUT a normal attendance – there were 56 members and guests present. We had people standing and even sitting on the floor. I’ve personally never been to a SCARS meeting where we ran out of chairs!
Beside the normal business, SCARS presented a plaque recognizing W7CNK’s generous gift to the club. It was your Editor’s privilege to present this recognition and to be able to share just how much Lucky has done for the Amateur Community and Practice with those present. In appreciation for Lucky’s gift to the club, SCARS recognized him with a SCARS Lifetime Membership. We are honored to have you as a member!
After the month’s business was attended to, WX5MOR, Moore, Oklahoma, Emergency Manager, gave an extremely informative, and dare I say ‘impassioned’, presentation about ARES. While you will NOT get the real gist of what many of these slides represent because you’ll not know the narration which went along with them, there is MUCH good information and links from his slide set, which can be found here:
WX5MOR ARES Presentation, 2/13/2016.
National Parks On The Air
There are special requirements for activating a station at the Oklahoma City National Memorial.
Attached, please find the current ground rules for NPOTA activation of the
Oklahoma City National Memorial.
Please share these ground rules and the following info with your club
IMPORTANT….you must contact the NPOTA folks at ARRL to get prior
permission to activate the Memorial.
At this time, the primary concern is no activations of any type 15-30 April.
This is due to the preparations for the Bombing Anniversary Ceremonies and
the Memorial Marathon.
Only one mobile activation per day will be approved at the Memorial Service
Center due to very limited space.
Mobile activations are only allowed on Saturday and/or Sunday.
Pedestrian mobile activations may be approved on any day save the timeframe
of 15-30 April.
To activate a NPOTA location, go to the registration link here: NPOTA Activation
OKC Memorial Marathon Sign-up
This year’s Marathon is April 24th and there are 100 Amateurs needed for the event. More info and links to sign-up are on the SCARS homepage: Memorial Marathon Signup
Mobile Antenna “Myths”
Eye-gouging, hair-pulling, roll-around-on-the-floor fights have started with lesser, but for better or worse, here it is: Mobile Antenna Myths
There are a lot of snake-oil salesmen out there. My advice is this: Put little faith in advertised “gain” of antennas. Many oxen to be gored here:
Green Country Hamfest
Green Country is less than 2 months from now. Check here for more details: Green Country Hamfest
Did I Forget You Last Week?
There’s an easy way to make sure that you receive each and every blog post. Yes, even on those days when I forget to send an email out to the Club list! But remember that I ONLY send out an email notification for the Weekly Newsletters. The other non-Weekly posts are very rarely notified about via email.
From anywhere on the Blog, scroll down until you see “Follow Blog via Email” in the right side-bar. Sign-up there, and you will always receive an email notice each and every time I post something here. Big Solar Flare? Bingo – you’re on it.
- Amateur Radio Parity Act Gets Favorable Subcommittee Report
- Enthusiasm, Friendly Faces Abound at Orlando HamCation, Host of 2016 ARRL National Convention
- Retiring ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, “Passionate about Amateur Radio”
- National Parks on the Air Update
- W1AW Will Not Be on the Air on February 18
- New Amateur Extra Question Pool Puts Greater Emphasis on Digital, SDRs, Propagation
- “Ham TV” System Used for First Time During ARISS Contact with UK School
- ARISS Opens Window to Invite School and Group Proposals for ISS Ham Radio Contacts
- Joel Hallas, W1ZR, Wins the 2015 Bill Orr, W6SAI, Technical Writing Award
- Antonio Gonzalez, EA5RM, to Receive 2015 ARRL International Humanitarian Award
- IARU President Touts Amateur Radio’s Relevance in Emergency Communication
- Randy Thompson, K5ZD, Stepping Down as CQ World Wide Contest Director
- Arkansas VHFer Claims “Mathematically Impossible” AO-7 Mode B Distance Record
- The K7RA Solar Update
- Just Ahead in Radiosport
- Upcoming ARRL Section, State, and Division Conventions and Events
Read it all here: ARRL Letter
Amateur Radio Newsline, February 19, 2016
- AMATEUR RADIO RESPONDS TO TAIWAN EARTHQUAKE
- ARRL RENEWS PARTNERSHIP WITH RED CROSS
- A MONUMENTAL ACTIVATION IN A PARK
- A RUNNING NEED FOR HAMS
- CAROLINA ON THEIR MINDS
- EMERGENCY OPERATIONS AT INDIANA HOSPITAL
- WELL-GROUNDED GROUNDHOG
- HAM RADIO MOVIE GETS TV PILOT
- PEOPLE IN THE NEWS
- ANTIQUE WiRELESS IN ACTION
- SK: VIRGIN ISLANDS WEATHER NET FOUNDER
- GET READY FOR WORLD RADIO DAY
- THE WORLD OF DX
- THE RADIO VOICE OF A CENTURY
Live links, Script, and Audio here: AR Newsline #1999
The February 18, 2016 Edition of Ham Nation:
HAM NATION 235
Gordo is back from Orlando from a Hamfest, Bob shows his DIY switch and relay project on Audio Alley, and Dale’s got plenty of fans hardware in Show Me Your Shack!
Go watch! Ham Nation Episode 235
Odds and Ends
NEW! – Real-time Solar Weather
- SCARS Officers
- HF Net List
- Norman VHF Repeaters audio stream
- ARRL Outgoing QSL Service
- Announced DX Operations
- D-Star stuff
- Real-time lightning data
- Oklahoma ARES Voice Over IP Net
Upcoming Hamfests within 250 miles
Link below lists all the ARRL-related hamfests within a 250 mile drive of Norman for about the next 5 months. Lots of good ones close to Norman.